Monday, July 9, 2012

Birthday, birthday...

July 1st was my 33rd birthday. We had our families over for a barbecue, had three cakes (we also celebrated my niece's 6th birthday) and all ate way too much food. Life can change so quickly in one year. I have so much more clarity on what is important in my life than I did a year ago. When you're faced with your own mortality you quickly realize your priorities.

I feel like I have two birthdays now. My real birthday and a second birthday: May 3rd when I was diagnosed with cancer. Every year on May 3rd I will remind myself how fragile and important life is, and be thankful that I was given a chance to survive cancer and live my life to the absolute fullest potential. 


I've said this before, but I'll say it again. I am blessed to have an amazing support network behind me. Life is defined by the people you surround yourself with and I feel like the luckiest girl to have the family and friends I have. 


Happy Birthday to me and CHEERS to all the people in my life who I love very much...here's to the year ahead full of challenges, accomplishments and the fun we'll have together.

2 comments:

  1. I have 2 dates saved on my google calender for the next 10 years.

    The day I was diagnosed with cancer, and the day about 5.5 months later when I finished chemo. As I look months in advance to plan trips or other events I see them and am remonded of how lucky I am to still be here.

    I plan to try to do something really fun on or close to both of those dates every year for a very long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like I told you - the love you're getting now is a true reflection of the kind of friend you are. :)

    ReplyDelete